Sunday, May 15, 2011

Trials

The Mac has died. I still feel abandoned and for the first week I felt naked without it. I didn't realize how much I depend on it. It was the weekend before finals and I was using it for my Stats class when all of the sudden I had nothing. My homework that had taken me 4 hours to do 3 problems was on there. I sat there stunned. I cried, and then I decided I needed to investigate. I texted my brother first. "Do Macs get viruses?"
Response, "Not usually."
Me: "So if they don't get viruses, what is wrong?"
He was busy in meetings and couldn't talk to me until later in the evening.

I called Apple support team. The closest Apple store is in Louisville, KY. Nope that won't work. They did offer technicians that are certified in Evansville. Better. What's their number? Called.
Me: "Hi, I'm calling about my Mac that has suddenly 'crashed'. I was working on my homework for school when I went to look up a formula on the internet for my Stats class and it froze. I waited some time and it wouldn't do anything. I decided to shut it off. When I went to turn it back on, all I got was a white screen."
Nice lady on the phone: "Well, you can bring it to us, but it will take 24 hours for someone to look at it. Then $50.00 to diagnose, $ for part, $100.00 to back up old hard drive, if it is the hard drive and there's no guarantee that your info can be saved."
Me (the nurse): "Wait, what are the signs/symptoms (yes I used those words) of a hard drive that's crashed?
Nice lady on phone: "If you hear a clicking noise when you try to start it up." Me: "Yep, that's what I hear. Dang it, my homeworks on the hard drive."
Nice lady on phone: "Well, for an extra $35.00 we can diagnose right on the spot and get someone to work on it immediately.
Me (what I really wanted to say): You are trying to take advantage of my crisis. "Thanks for your help. I'll get back to you."

I decided I didn't have time to drive down to Evansville. My homework was due that night by midnight. I was going to have to redo it. Thank heavens I saved my scrap paper with my work on it. I allowed myself a few more tears; Savannah's birth pics were on there, my resume, my iTunes...so much info that has never been backed because I didn't think I need to with a Mac. I didn't have time to mourn my loss; I had a deadline to make with school. I did try and look at the bright side...my 9 page research paper had already been turned in!!!
My Mac still sits on top of my fridge with the hard drive sitting on top. My brother has given me hope that it can be fixed and the possibility of retrieving my "computer valuables". I hope he's right. For now, I'm back on Ryan's laptop. I do not remember my username and password for my Mac webme site. I've tried several times, but I can't gain access to my site. I'm sad about that too. I loved blogging on the webme. It's so simple and quick. I'll have to come back to my old site until my Mac has been restored.

2 comments:

Amanda said...

so so sad. I hope it can be fixed!

Barb Zinn said...

Have you heard anything from James yet?????